This is a maritime county, the smallest in Ireland, bounded on the east by the Irish Sea, on the west by the counties of Monaghan and Meath, on the north by Carlingford Bay and the county of Armagh, and on the south by that of Meath. Its greatest length in direction of south by west is twenty-eight miles; and its greatest breadth west by north is eighteen; comprehending an area of 202,123 acres; of which about 106,071 are under tillage; 69,322 in pasture land; 4,482 of plantations; 21,595 occupied by towns, water, bog, mountains, &c; and 653 covered by water.
Although the smallest county in the island, it presents distinguishing features, as to its scenery and soil, well deserving attention. The surface of the country is uneven and studded with lofty hills, many of which bear thriving plantations, which contribute to the beauty of the scenery. Louth constituted the centre of the English pale, originally extending from Wicklow on the south, to Dunluce on the north; and its fragments of ancient monuments are interesting and numerous, some bearing marks of considerable magnificence.
The soil is generally fertile, producing fine grain and heavy green crops; indeed, Louth may be considered as an agricultural county of considerable value. The manufacture of sheetings, and other kinds of coarser linen cloth, is carried on, in the neighbourhood of Drogheda to a considerable extent, and there are large bleach greens in and around that locality. There are three places of export for the agricultural and manufacturing produce—Newry in the north, Drogheda in the south, and Dundalk midway between the two; and inland communication is effectually facilitated by several lines of railway which run through the county. There is an oyster fishery at Carlingford Bay, the produce of which is held in great estimation, and finds a ready market in Dublin and other towns. The Dundalk fishery district, which comprises fifty-two miles of maritime boundaries, and extends from Warrenpoint to Ballywater, employs a good number of men and boys.
The CLIMATE of Louth is mild, but humid; not more so, however, than other sea-bound counties generally are. The geology of the county is very simple. The mountains in the north are chiefly composed of granite; and clay slate, limestone, impure ironstone, and pyrites of iron, form the sub-strata of other districts. The rivers which have connexion with this county are the Flurry, the Stranarn, the Cully, and the Creaghan—all streams from Armagh, and with the Fane from Monaghan, flow into Dundalk Bay. The Lagan, the Glyde, the Dee, and the Boyne, are the other streams defined by name—the last celebrated for the battle fought on its banks between James I and William III. The lakes within the county are Newtownbalregan, Corteal. Kercock, Beaulieu, Drumcah, and two or three smaller sheets of water.
DIVISIONS, POPULATION, REPRESENTATION, &C.
The number of baronies comprised in the county are six—namely, Ardee, Drogheda, Dundalk Lower, Dundalk Upper, Ferrard, and Louth: these are divided into sixty-one parishes (including those comprehended in the county of the town of DROGHEDA) and several parts of parishes. The assizes are held at Dundalk, and quarter sessions at Ardee, Drogheda, and the first named town. The county is within the Belfast military district, with the exception of Drogheda, which is in the Dublin district.
The population of the county, by the census taken in 1861, was, males, 44,241; females, 46,472: total, 90.713; by the returns for 1871 the numbers were: males, 41,033; females, 42,988; total, 84,021 showing a decrease of 6,692. The number of houses inhabited in 1861 was 17,654; uninhabited, 951; and houses building, 66; in 1871, houses inhabited, 16,885; uninhabited, 718; building, 35.
Prior to the Union Louth sent ten representatives to the Irish Parliament; two for the county at large, and two each for the boroughs of Ardee, Carlingford, Dundalk, and Dunleer; at the period referred to all the boroughs were disfranchised except Dundalk, which sends one member to the Imperial Parliament, and the county at large two—the present representatives for the latter are P. Callan and A. M. Sullivan, Esquires. The county of the town of Drogheda is represented by Benjamin Whitworth, Esq. Custos Rotulorum the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Massereene and Ferrard, Antrim Castle, county Antrim; Oriel Temple, county Louth; Kildare Street and Sackville Street Clubs, Dublin; and Junior United Service, Carlton, Boodle's and Travellers' Clubs, London.
(SOURCE: Slater’s, Royal National Commercial Directory of Ireland,1881 p.6)Link to County Louth page
Link to Home page
Please send any comments on above Genealogical & Historical Research Service by e-mail to: email@example.com
© MP McConnon, MC Research Service, Seabank, Castlebellingham, Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland
(Original uploaded 7 April 2006) Last update 27 August 2011.